For better or worse, here I am—trapped in paradise. As long as I continue to live in this vital, inimitable spot on the globe,

I will continue to seek out the unique…the delicious…the innovative products, services and traditions of San Luis Obispo County.

Stay posted for a few of my favorite things.

About Me...

My photo
A wanderlust at heart... captivated by the California Central Coast. Join me on my culinary and vino-infused adventures as I explore and discover the regional novelties of San Luis Obispo County that make living here...easy to stay...and hard to leave.

Saturday, April 10, 2010

SLO Colors

This morning on my way out of a local grocery store, I glanced at a poster and subliminally picked up the message: Eat Your Colors! I took this advice to heart at my next stop, a local San Luis Obispo County farmer's market, where I silently wandered the rows of fresh spring crops while dull grey clouds loomed above. Bright yellow lemons, vibrant green basil, shiny red-veined Swiss chard, over-plump orange heirloom tomatoes, and funky purple cauliflower beckoned—signaling my subconscious to open my wallet and fill up my bag.

When I returned home, I put my edible colors to work, SLO fritatta-style. I utilized the fresh multi-colored eggs I bought from a vendor, as well as the intense red bell peppers and rich green spinach that I couldn't resist. Below is a healthier version of my famous cholesterol quiche recipe that I've been making for years (sans the cream and loaded with lively-colored veggies).

Over the next several days, I will make good use of this healthy multihued produce that's packed with a superfluity of nutrients. My overabundance will not go to waste, and my body will thank me for my happenstance sighting at the grocery store this morning.

SLO Fritatta

8 eggs

8 ounces breakfast sausage

1 medium shallot, chopped

1 red bell pepper, chopped

2 cups fresh spinach leaves, chopped (stems discarded)

3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

Freshly grated parmesan

Salt & pepper to taste

Heat skillet to low-medium heat and add sausage. Break up with wooden spoon and cook crumbles for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Meanwhile heat oven to 350ºF, chop shallot, bell pepper and spinach leaves. Turn heat up to medium-high on the stove and add olive oil and salt & pepper to pan; throw in the shallot and bell pepper. Sauteé for about 5 minutes before adding spinach. Allow Popeye leaves to wilt for a few minutes, stirring every-so-often. Turn off heat. Crack your eggs and whisk for a few seconds. Layer sausage and veggies in a glass baking dish (a pie pan works well), pour eggs over the top and bake for 25 - 35 minutes, until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.

Cool slightly, plate, and sprinkle with parmesan. This recipe serves 2 - 3 and makes a nice addition to a brunch, served with fresh fruit and chased down by a mimosa or two.


These obese orange tomatoes will be delicious drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with freshly chopped basil.


This shiny spinach will make a tasty salad with strawberries and walnuts, tossed in a balsamic dressing.

This garden-fresh trio will make a beautiful start to a Mediterranean ratatouille.

1 comment:

Fresh Local and Best said...

I love the farmer's market! Especially ones in Southern California, where the growing season lasts all year long. The purple cauliflower and heirloom tomatoes look beautiful!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
There was an error in this gadget