For better or worse, here I am—trapped in paradise. As long as I continue to live in this vital, inimitable spot on the globe,

I will continue to seek out the unique…the delicious…the innovative products, services and traditions of San Luis Obispo County.

Stay posted for a few of my favorite things.

About Me...

My photo
A wanderlust at heart... captivated by the California Central Coast. Join me on my culinary and vino-infused adventures as I explore and discover the regional novelties of San Luis Obispo County that make living here...easy to stay...and hard to leave.

Sunday, April 18, 2010

SLO Recovery

Yes, my legs are sore today. But I have no regrets about running yesterday's race on the beach, in spite of the fact that I wasn't quite in shape for a 10K. Even though my quads have been screaming at me for the last day-and-a-half to stay home and rest, the gorgeous spring weather hasn't allowed for idleness. With so much to explore and discover in San Luis Obispo County, I went in search of the perfect recovery food (and drink).

Saturday afternoon, I drove a few miles towards Edna Valley, stopping at Cornercopia Fresh Market, located on the corner of Highway 227 and Crestmont Drive. This cute-as-a-button roadside stand (open Friday - Sunday from 12:00pm - 5:00pm) offers locally-grown SLO produce (some organic and pesticide-free), farm fresh eggs, flower arrangements, as well as locally-made products such as bread, scones, jams, and jars of honey. I couldn't resist the bright, fat strawberries, the aromatic raspberry honey, or the lemon-peach preserves that I found there. I knew that with enough imagination, I could create a lively, healthy meal to meld these delectable components.

But my ulterior motive for driving to this area of the county stemmed from Edna Valley Vineyard's "locals weekend." With free tastings and significant discounts on all wine purchases for SLO County residents—I sought the vino. I tasted five wines, all the while soaking up panoramic views of the symetrically-lined Edna Valley vines, ultimately taking home a few bottles for future food pairings.
kkk
On Sunday, a trip to a local health food market revealed red snapper fillets from Morro Bay, and images of a nice fish dinner with fresh fruit salsa sprang to mind. By chance, I later drove by a random farmer's market in SLO, and stopped for some freshly-grown produce to complete my idea for the ultimate recovery meal. I don't often cook fish, but perhaps yesterday's jaunt along the oceanside inspired me.
kkk
The following recovery meal comprised several delectable ingredients from various parts of San Luis Obispo County, all working together to produce a lovely dinner that was fresh, fragrant, and healthy. Boasting bright notes of citrus, with hints of sweet and savory uniting effortlessly...the end result was satisfying and delicious, helping my recovery on every level.

SLO Snapper

1 pound red snapper fillets

3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

1 tablespoon lemon-peach preserves (or your favorite jam)

1/2 tablespoon raw honey

Red pepper flakes to taste

Juice & zest of 1 lemon

Salt & pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients (except snapper) and whisk together. Spread a few teaspoons of mixture onto bottom of glass pan. Add fillets and cover fish with remaining marinade. Add more salt & pepper if desired. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 hours.

SLO Savory Strawberry Salad

3 cups red-leaf lettuce, torn

1 avocado, sliced

1 cup strawberries, sliced

1/2 cup yellow bell pepper, sliced

1/2 cup red bell pepper, sliced

1 orange with zest (set zest aside)

2 tablespoons green onion, diced

2 tablespoons fennel, finely chopped

2 tablespoons Italian parsely, chopped

SLO Dressing

Zest of 1 orange

3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

1/2 tablespoon raw honey

1/2 tablespoon fruit preserves

Salt & pepper to taste

Zest orange and set aside. Set orange upright and cut remaining skin and pith off, by slicing around orange flesh. Cut all vegetables (except lettuce and avocado), strawberries, and orange into bite-size pieces. Combine in glass bowl. Whisk dressing ingredients and saturate veggies & fruit. Refrigerate.

When you're ready to eat, heat oven to 350ºF. Cook fish for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, wash & tear lettuce, and plate with strawberry salad and avocado slices. Serve with snapper and a buttery Chardonnay. My choice included Edna Valley Vineyard's 2007 Reserve Chardonnay, an oaked, buttery wine with notes of citrus, caramel, and vanilla. I also threw together some drop biscuits for this meal (from a mix), dolloped with butter and raspberry honey. Serves 2 - 3.

Healthy, fresh, superb meal. Recovery at it's finest.
kkk

1 comment:

Fresh Local and Best said...

I'm amazed by how lush and green the vines are already. We've yet to have the first season of strawberries here on the east coast. The best tasting strawberries come from California, and it's not hard to understand why seeing your pictures.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
There was an error in this gadget