For better or worse, here I am—trapped in paradise. As long as I continue to live in this vital, inimitable spot on the globe,

I will continue to seek out the unique…the delicious…the innovative products, services and traditions of San Luis Obispo County.

Stay posted for a few of my favorite things.

About Me...

My photo
A wanderlust at heart... captivated by the California Central Coast. Join me on my culinary and vino-infused adventures as I explore and discover the regional novelties of San Luis Obispo County that make living here...easy to stay...and hard to leave.

Sunday, May 2, 2010

SLO Teaser

17 winery visits over the weekend. As my brain and palate are currently on overload (I don't yet have the ability to process the past two day's tasting experience or pen any words just yet), for now I'll tease you with a few snippets from Thursday night's "Barrrels in the Plaza," the kickoff event of the weekend's 20th Annual Roll out the Barrels. Transforming the public open space of the Mission Plaza in downtown SLO into a foodie and wino's dream (steps from the historic 1772 Mission), San Luis Obispo Vintners Association member wineries, paired with local restaurants and caterers, offered 600 guests a 2-hour feast of local wines and food bites. This culinary extravaganza set the stage for the weekend's signature event—whereby passport holders roamed Edna Valley and South County, visiting member wineries for free tastings, culinary delights, and significant wine discounts.

Although gusty winds and cool breezes brushed by us on Thursday, that didn't stop the fun and festivities as we lined up at each food and wine station, talked amongst ourselves, and delighted in the opportunity to sample wines from 24 wineries paired with tasty tidbits from local food purveyors. As my sister and I made the rounds, some of the highlights included Ciopinot's mussels that fared better than well with Claiborne and Churchill Vintners 2007 Pinot Noir, Edna Valley AVA; Amy Bakes Cupcakes strawberry n' creme shooters that harmonized perfectly with Pithy Little Wine Company's 2009 Malvasia Bianca; and The Neon Carrot's mushroom bisque that paired oh-so-nicely with some of Chamisal Vineyard's Pinot Noir (sorry, memory lapase on the vintage).

This preview event set the stage for the excessive wine and food affair that transpired over the weekend...details coming soon!


2 comments:

Fresh Local and Best said...

I love that picture of the Spanish mission, it's so neat! This looks like a very fun event.

Christine said...

Wow 17 Wineries. I'm so jealous!! I wish I was there too. I missed this.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
There was an error in this gadget