For better or worse, here I am—trapped in paradise. As long as I continue to live in this vital, inimitable spot on the globe,

I will continue to seek out the unique…the delicious…the innovative products, services and traditions of San Luis Obispo County.

Stay posted for a few of my favorite things.

About Me...

My Photo
A wanderlust at heart... captivated by the California Central Coast. Join me on my culinary and vino-infused adventures as I explore and discover the regional novelties of San Luis Obispo County that make living here...easy to stay...and hard to leave.

My 2015 12-Month San Luis Obispo County Calendar is Now Available!

Saturday, March 23, 2013

Spring has Sprung

In my neck of the woods, spring is in the air. Sporty mid-70 degree temperatures and smooth blue skies enveloped San Luis Obispo City today. After a bountiful trip to a local farmers market and a sandy run along Pismo Beach, my appetite sprang forth.

This is the time of year when I tend to move away from the warm, cooked foods of winter and look forward to throwing together flavorful salads chock full of the earth's creations. Here is a recipe for a divine citrus dressing I made to complement the pesticide-free red leaf lettuce and organic colored carrots I picked up this morning. 

Healthy and delectable during this ideal time of year. 

SLO Citrus Dressing
This recipe makes quite a bit, so If you end up with any leftover dressing, keep it in a sealed jar in the fridge to use throughout the week.

1 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 lemon (zest & juice)
1 lime (zest & juice)
1 orange (zest & juice)
1 - 3 cloves garlic (peeled)
1/2 - 1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon raw honey 
2 - 3 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
Salt & pepper to taste

Place all ingredients in a blender and emulsify until well blended. Taste and adjust for seasonings. Add more salt, pepper, oregano, garlic or vinegar according to what your palate dictates.

Serve with salad greens and freshly chopped veggies of your choice. I also added a few small cooked salmon patties to adorn my salad, which paired nicely with the dressing. Grilled chicken would also work well. If you want to keep it vegetarian, throw on some black beans and an avocado.

Get into the spring of things!

Try pairing this salad with a rosé of pinot noir, sauvignon blanc, or a riesling.
The first sunset of the 2013 spring equinox at Pismo Beach was rife with color.
 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Share my blog...