For better or worse, here I am—trapped in paradise. As long as I continue to live in this vital, inimitable spot on the globe,

I will continue to seek out the unique…the delicious…the innovative products, services and traditions of San Luis Obispo County.

Stay posted for a few of my favorite things.

About Me...

My photo
A wanderlust at heart... captivated by the California Central Coast. Join me on my culinary and vino-infused adventures as I explore and discover the regional novelties of San Luis Obispo County that make living here...easy to stay...and hard to leave.

Sunday, October 20, 2013

Delicate Soup

If you've never had delicata squash before, you're missing out. I won't try and explain the flavor, but let's suffice to say that this variety hits home for me. Maybe it will for you too. 

With a light, striped outer color and a soft orange fleshy interior, once cooked, this squash is delicate in taste...just plain good. Over the past few weeks I've received a few of these pretty fall favorites in my weekly produce box from Talley Farms Fresh Harvest box. 

My mom recently sent me a recipe for kabocha squash soup, which planted the seed for the following concoction. I threw the following elements together Sunday evening and thoroughly enjoyed the aftereffect. In addition to the delicata squash, this recipe encompasses the yams, carrots and green onions that also helped fill this week's carton from Talley.

I'm not even going to tell you that this recipe is delicious, healthy, reminiscent of the autumn season, and something good you can do for yourself. It just is. 

SLO DELICATA SQUASH SOUP RECIPE

Serves 2


Ingredients:

1 delicata squash
1 yam
5 small carrots
4 garlic cloves, peeled and whole
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper 
Dash of red pepper flakes (optional)
1/2 teaspoon cardamom
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon 
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 15 oz. can white beans, drained and rinsed
32 oz. vegetable broth 
1 stalk green onion, chopped (optional)

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Peel the yam, carrots and delicata. Scoop the seeds out of the squash and cut these three vegetables into bite-sized chunks. Place in a large glass baking dish and add the peeled garlic and olive oil. Toss to coat the oil evenly then add the salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Stir and then place in the oven for 50 minutes. Use a wooden spoon to toss the medley every 15 minutes or so. When time is up, remove from the oven and transfer the roasted veggies to a soup pot. 

Add the broth, beans, cardamom, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and ginger to the pot. Over high heat, bring to a boil, then turn heat down to low, cover with a lid and let simmer for 20 minutes. Then turn off the heat for 5 -10 minutes and let it stand. Get out your blender and puree about half the soup mixture and add it back into the pot. Taste and adjust for seasonings; serve individual bowls sprinkled with chopped green onion. 

Revel in the warm fall flavors.





No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
There was an error in this gadget