For better or worse, here I am—trapped in paradise. As long as I continue to live in this vital, inimitable spot on the globe,

I will continue to seek out the unique…the delicious…the innovative products, services and traditions of San Luis Obispo County.

Stay posted for a few of my favorite things.

About Me...

My Photo
A wanderlust at heart... captivated by the California Central Coast. Join me on my culinary and vino-infused adventures as I explore and discover the regional novelties of San Luis Obispo County that make living here...easy to stay...and hard to leave.

My 2015 12-Month San Luis Obispo County Calendar is Now Available!

Sunday, October 13, 2013

SLO Harvest

Once in a while it's nice to let someone else make the decisions. As a new patron of Talley Farms Fresh Harvest box, once a week I have the pleasure of picking up freshly harvested fruits and vegetables that have already been selected for me. No choosing, no shopping, just a huge carton of lovely food that I can utilize throughout the week. 

Since 1948, Talley Farms has been growing fresh produce in Arroyo Grande, and in 2012 they launched their terrific harvest in a box program. With convenient pick-up locations around San Luis Obispo County, they deliver a taste of in-season crops. This past week they produced cartons full of carrots, radishes, artichokes, yellow beans, heirloom tomatoes, green leaf lettuce, basil, green grapes, raspberries, avocados, lemons, bell peppers, as well as delicata and yellow squash varieties. Most of their allotment comes from their own farm, some is sourced from other local Caifornia growers, and a lot of what ends up in the box is organic. Works for me.

The red and green bell peppers I received in my shipment were the largest I've ever seen (these two giants were the equivalent of four regular sized), and I knew what I had to do: roast and char these beauties to bring out their distinctive flavors. Below is a recipe that my brotheran accomplished home cook who lives miles away in Europemade for my family when visiting a few years ago. Here is my version of his wonderful pasta dish.

SLO PEPPERS 'N PASTA RECIPE

Serves 2 - 4

Ingredients:

4 roasted bell peppers (different colors are fine)
1 handful fresh basil leaves (stems includedjust rip off a handful from a large bunch)
1 handful freshly grated Parmesan cheese (roughly 1/3 cup)
1/4 - 1/2 cup heavy cream
I - 2 garlic cloves, pressed (optional)
Salt & pepper to taste
12 oz. dried penne pasta 
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil

Directions: 

Set your oven on broil. Place your whole, washed bell peppers on a baking sheet to roast under the heat. The amount of time will vary depending on the size of your peppers, but expect anywhere between 15 - 30 minutes. Watch the peppers carefully, turning with tongs as each side starts to char and blacken. You will know when they're done as they will be evenly charred on all sides, their juices will start to leak, and they will be soft to the touch with the tongs. 

Remove from the oven and place in a glass bowl, then cover with saran wrap. This will cause the peppers to steam, the bowl will collect any juices, and 20 - 30 minutes later when they are cool enough to handle, you can peel the skin off. When you discard the skin, pull out the stem and scoop out any seeds you find. Whatever you do, don't rinse them off in waterthis washes away flavor. 


When the peppers are ready to be peeled, heat up water to boil the pasta. After peeling the peppers, place the flesh in a blender (as well as any juices from the bowl) with a bit of salt and pepper, 1/4 cup of cream, and a handful each of the basil and cheese. Add the pressed garlic if you'd like a bit of zing. Blend until well incorporated and taste. This is one of those recipes where you need to adjust until you please your palate. The consistency should be slightly thick and taste absolutely delicious when you taste-test with a spoon. Add more seasonings and/or cream if desired. 

Cook the pasta according to package directions for al dente consistency. When pasta is done, drain and then add back to the pan with the olive oil and pepper sauce. Stir and heat through for a few minutes. Serve garnished with a bit of basil. 



SLO Peppers 'n Pasta. An easy decision.


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Share my blog...