For better or worse, here I am—trapped in paradise. As long as I continue to live in this vital, inimitable spot on the globe,

I will continue to seek out the unique…the delicious…the innovative products, services and traditions of San Luis Obispo County.

Stay posted for a few of my favorite things.

About Me...

My photo
A wanderlust at heart... captivated by the California Central Coast. Join me on my culinary and vino-infused adventures as I explore and discover the regional novelties of San Luis Obispo County that make living here...easy to stay...and hard to leave.

Thursday, November 21, 2013

Holiday Thanks


Even though I don't always practice what I preach, I'm a true believer in focusing on what I'm grateful for on a daily basis. As 2013 slips further into autumn and the holidays loom just around the corner, perhaps this is a season for added reflection.

With ideal temperate weather and vibrant fall leaves freckling the  Edna Valley region vineyards, this past weekend I felt even more blessed to live in San Luis Obispo County. I couldn't resist taking a drive in my own backyard, in search of distinctive local wines to share with family and friends during the upcoming Thanksgiving festivities. 

Hoping to find the perfect regional nectar of the gods to fill our glasses and complement the abundance of food and flavors that will mound our plates on this gratified holiday, I visited three small quality-focused wineries located in this cool-climate coastal zone. Here's what I found.
At Wolff Vineyards I couldn't leave without a bottle of their 2012 Dry Riesling, a nicely balanced, fruit-forward ambrosia of flavors. This varietal will hold up well to the countless flavors that might end up on our holiday plates.

 I picked up another outstanding white that pairs well with the myriad zest of the holidays: Claiborne & Churchill Vintners's 2012 Dry Gew├╝rztraminer; a floral explosion in the mouth. Their 2009 "Classic" Pinot Noir also went home with me. Velvety and packed with notes of berry and herbs, I envisioned a glass of this medium-bodied red going down nicely with our festive meal without overpowering the roasted turkey.
I discovered an outburst of jam-packed flavor in Cerro Caliente Cellars 2007 Syrah. This vintage was a particularly good year for the region's grapes and I'm hopeful our smoked turkey will pair spot on with this pleasant, peppery wine.

Even though I still haven't quite figured out how I ended up so fortuitous to end up in San Luis Obispo County, I'll keep tasting away, thankful for every entreating sip. I will remember the importance of sharing with family, friends and even strangers, as well as continue to give thanks, give back to my community, and keep on exploring my beautiful environs.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
There was an error in this gadget