For better or worse, here I am—trapped in paradise. As long as I continue to live in this vital, inimitable spot on the globe,

I will continue to seek out the unique…the delicious…the innovative products, services and traditions of San Luis Obispo County.

Stay posted for a few of my favorite things.

About Me...

My photo
A wanderlust at heart... captivated by the California Central Coast. Join me on my culinary and vino-infused adventures as I explore and discover the regional novelties of San Luis Obispo County that make living here...easy to stay...and hard to leave.

Sunday, June 14, 2015

Central Coast Sailing Charters

Central Coast Sailing Charters is located on Harford Pier in Avila Beach
Yesterday's late morning sail aboard Central Coast Sailing Charters could not have been better. The fog cleared, the skies beamed, the waters glistened, and the whales danced in Avila Beach. 

This past week several humpback whales have been following schools of fish around San Luis Obispo County's coastline, sharing waters with boats and kayakers while circling around Port San Luis Harbor.

When these majestic mammals show up in Avila, we never know how long they're going to grace us with their presence. I still remember the short-lived frenzy some of them caused in August 2012—when I stood on Harford Pier, watching in awe as beautiful humpbacks swam by an elated crowd of onlookers. 

This time I decided to observe the humpbacks from a different vantage point: aboard a 44-foot sailboat. I booked a ticket with Central Coast Sailing Charters and looked forward to a day of fun in the sun. 

Welcomed aboard the "Ocean Spirit" by Captain Mark, this two-and-a-half hour maritime adventure was pure bliss. The captain was gracious, knowledgeable about the locale, and kept a safe distance from the humpbacks. We sailed around in the pristine ocean air, enjoying each moment while catching glimpses of blowholes and breaches from enormous humpback whales. 

Following is a short video of my excursion with Central Coast Sailing Charters. I hope this summer you'll be able to hop on a boat, put your feet up, feel the sun on your face, and take in the local scene.




SAIL AWAY!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
There was an error in this gadget